“Yam”my Recipes?

Story time…grab your carpet squares and gather around.

Every time there is a family get together it somehow involves food.  So every time, the responsibilities are divided out.  Somehow all my sisters, friends, husband’s family, whoever is attending but me, gets to bring something that they can make.  But when it comes to my food responsibilities…I get stuck with a vegetable tray, drinks, or “oh don’t worry about bringing anything.”  Lately I have gotten, “paper plates,” “ice cream,” and “green salad.”

I know for some people when they hear these types of requests, they wipe the sweat off their brow in relief of not having to cook or bake.  For me…I get frustrated.  I LOVE baking and cooking.  Why?  I love trying out new recipes, wearing a cute apron, feeling domestic, creating something for someone else, and watching them enjoy the tastes.  I am a pretty decent domestic wife, if I do say so myself.  Now let me clarify that I am not the “*taste* *taste* It needs a little more_________” type but I can follow a recipe like no other!  Well…no one complains about my cooking or baking so I figure it doesn’t stink all that bad.

On Christmas Eve my husband and I are going to my mother-in-laws house for a ham dinner.  This time I didn’t ASK what I could bring I TOLD her I was bringing yams.  But then, she also asked me to bring a veggie tray…SEE NEVER FAILS! 

Here is where you ladies come in to play.  I have a yam recipe and it is good but I need a knock-your-socks-off, to-die-for, I-HAVE-GOT-to-have-this-recipe yam recipe.  (You know, the type that everyone loves so much they want it to become the new family tradition!)  This is my one chance to prove to the world that yes, I really can cook and it is OK to ask me to bring something that isn’t pre-made….or a paper product…to a family gathering.  I mean, after all, I am 25.  If I screw this up I am going to be bringing green salads or JELLO for the next 60-70 years!!!  So got any yummy…or rather….yammy recipes?

[crissasiggy[4].png]

  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

8 Comments:

  1. Shana said...

    lol I usually get stuck with a dessert. I only know my moms yam recipes which is cooked yams (fresh not canned) then smashed with some butter and cinnamon. Mix in some crushed pineapple. Then spread evenly in a baking dish and top with marshmallows. A lot of marshmallows! Cook at low heat until they are melted and tada candied yams

  2. Shana said...

    I forgot to add I've heard of adding in crushed pecans also
    Were a nut free family so I couldn't tell you how it tastes lol

  3. Chelsea said...

    Haha - loved the story - sorry no knock your socks off yam receipes, but as long as you slap marshmallows on top it should be good, right? I am in the same boat, my m.i.l. always asks us to bring chips or plates, etc!! What's up with that?
    PS - are you the Crissa that was an RA at BYU? I'm pretty sure I know you!

  4. Crissa Pollmann Robertson said...

    Yes! I am the BYU RA Crissa! That is so funny that you recognized me from my complaining :)

    I would love to catch up with you! Email me at crissa17@hotmail.com or stop by my blog at ckscorner.blogspot.com

    Thanks for following us he at AGE! Look forward to hearing from you!

  5. Renee said...

    Paula Deen's Sweet Potato (the same as yams?) Casserole is WONDERFUL!!!!! I add 1/2 cup of shredded coconut to the potatoes--my mother in law ASKS me specifically to make this at holidays!!!

    Ingredients:

    3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
    1 cup sugar
    1/3 cup butter, melted
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 cup heavy cream, half and half, or whole milk

    Topping:
    1 cup brown sugar
    3 tablespoons butter, melted
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped

    Mix together with fork; sprinkle over top of casserole.
    Directions

    Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix all ingredients together except for cream. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add cream;mix well. Pour into greased casserole dish ( 1 1/2 quarts). Add topping. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

    Servings:
    Prep Time:
    Cook Time: 30 min
    Difficulty: Easy

  6. Lindsey said...

    Oh dear! Well, I don't have any amazing yam recipes... I'm not a huge yam-lover. ;-)

    How bout candied yams? http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/candied-yams-recipe2/index.html

    Or these maple-glazed yams with a praline topping look GOOD: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/maple-glazed_yams_with_pecan_topping/

    Let us know how it went and what recipe you used! :-)

  7. Sara A Broers said...

    It varies from holiday to holiday, but this year I was asked to bring the veggie tray~ I guess last year I brought baked beans and son was driving and I ended up wearing them! Therefore, I guess my Mom knew that I could not possibly screw up a veggie tray, right?

  8. Crissa Pollmann Robertson said...

    OH! I wish I would have gotten that recipe Renee left in time for me to make it. That looks delicious. I will be making that one for a Sunday dinner soon!

    I ended up going with Kraft Food's Whipped Sweet Potato Bake recipe...which was perfect since I had about 30 minutes between work and dinner to make it and bake it. My mother in law said it was good (but didn't go back for seconds) but my husbands grandmother said she loved them, ate seconds, and asked for the recipe. (She says she loves everything so I am not sure what to think there.) My husband said he LOVED them and asked if I would make yams for every Sunday dinner. That's the opinion that really counts right!?

    Here is the recipes if anyone wants to try it out:

    3 cans (15 oz. each) sweet potatoes, drained
    1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, melted
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1 tsp. ground ginger
    1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
    3 cups mini marshmallows
    *You can substitute 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice for cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg if you like*

    --Beat sweet potatoes, butter, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg with mixer until bended.
    --Spoon lightly into greased 1 1/2 qt. casserole dish; top with marshmallows
    --Bake at 350 for 15-20 min or until mixture is heated through and marshmallows are lightly browned.

    This recipe is less on the sweet side. It could be really great with some brown sugar in it...but since the recipe doesn't call for it and I HAVE to follow the recipe in order for things to turn out, I didn't put any in. It is, however, very yummy and quick and easy. I will make it again for sure!

Post a Comment

(THIS IS NOT WHERE YOU ENTER THE GIVEAWAY! Please use the official entry form within the post to enter the giveaway.) Feel free to leave any comments you love about the company or items we are giving away...we love hearing from you!